Via ferratas provide a first approach to climbing.
They involve climbing a secured route on a rock face using fitted equipment (wires, ladders and foot bridges), wearing a harness but without having to use mountain climbing techniques. Although open to everyone for 8 years onwards, via ferrata is a mountain sport with a number of rules to be followed to ensure you enjoy your mountain experience.
There are 7 very different via ferrata in Oisans waiting to be discovered.
- Mizoën via ferrata. Le voile de la mariée Athletic, long and airy, this can be your first real step into the vertical world!
- Vaujany via ferrata. A lovely, very well equipped via ferrata, designed for beginners, but also enjoyed by many advanced climbers.
- Les Perrons via ferrata. A perfect cliff for a quiet day out on the rock face. Lovely airy sections opposite the Muzelle glacier.
- Arsine via ferrata. A relatively easy route, although there are some airy, athletic sections.
- Saint-Christophe en Oisans via ferrata. Climbing above fast-flowing turquoise Vénéon river and featuring an airy, swaying footbridge, this is a varied and well-designed route.
- Les mines du Grand Clot via ferrata. A historic via ferrata on the site of the old Silver mines, closed in 1926. /!\ Actualy closed
- Alpe d’Huez via ferrata at the »Pierre Ronde » site 2 routes, namely the « Découverte » and the « Sportive », both south facing!
Helmet, harness, a pair of strong shoes, a double shock absorbing lanyard, 30m of rope, two quickdraws, and a belay device.
Equipement can be rented from a number of local sports shops.
PD/ PeuDifficile = for children and biginners
D/ Difficile = for beginners accompanied by a more experienced climber
D+/ Difficulté supérieure = for the experienced
TD/ Très Difficile = physically demanding routes for the highly experienced.