Altitude : 1 540 m
- 1st of May to 14th of June 2016 with prior booking.
- 15th of June to 15th of September 2016.
- 16th of September to 31st of October 2016 with prior booking.
- Closed in winter.
From the car park at Les Aymes, follow the path marked in red and white (variant of the GR 54 path): the balcony trail makes its way above the Lac du Chambon before climbing up across the meadows. From there, it is possible either to follow the trail to the right that joins the refuge (adding ½ hour), or to carry straight on directly to Les Clots.
Along the way, and near the refuge, depending on the time of your visit, you may see marmots, chamois and butterflies, and depending on the season, feast your eyes and nose with lavender and other orange lilies.
You’ll also have a chance to admire the waterfalls surrounding the hut, gushing out of a petrified fountain, forming concretions of tuf. The site is under a biotope protection order, so please stay on the path to avoid damaging this geological wonder.
A word from the hut
Just next to the refuge, a cabin has been converted into an ecomuseum: its visit willmake an ideal end to your passage through the discovery trail, and you will know everything about the flora, fauna, and life in the Emparis pastures. The easy access to the hut and its surrounding environment make it an ideal choice for a first overnight stay with children or for meeting up with friends.
From the hut:
- Variant of GR 54 path « Tour de l’Oisans »
- Tour of the Haut-Dauphiné GR 50
- Circular walk to the Plateau d’Emparis and back to Les Aymes (4hours – height gain 660m)
- The Lac Noir et the Lac Lérié on the Plateau d’Emparis (Height gain: 900m)
- Beautiful hike across the Plateau d’Emparis to Le Chazelet.
- A circular discovery trail
- Emergence of the «petrified fountain» a half-hour walk away
- Wall of the Cascade de la Pisse: 4 climbing routes from 5c to 7a (300m) which lead to the refuge (see « Oisans nouveau, Oisans sauvage » by JM Cambon).
- Via Ferrata of the cascade de la Pisse, looping through the refuge.en boucle en passant par le refuge