Altitude: 3 092 m
- 18th of March to 14th of May 2017.
- 17th of June to 17th of September 2017.
- Other week-ends in May, June and September with prior booking.
- Off season, ask the hut keeper.
From La Bérarde, the route first passes by the refuge of Le Châtelleret. Leave on your left the path that leads to the Col du Replat, then walk towards the wide moraine that separates the small valley, where there may be some snow patches to cross. Follow then the path on its long ridge to the impressive rock promontory where you’ll find the refuge.
Two ways to reach the refuge:
Either climb the ridge below the hut, thanks to the cables fitted over 150m to make your climb easier. A harness, a helmet and a via ferrata lanyard are recommended (blue marks).
Or walk horizontally to your left, and walk around the alluvial fan of the glacier and the rocky shelf, then climb left-hand towards the bottom of the glacier. Then pass through the slabs of rock, horizontally below the glacier, before reaching the refuge by a snow patch (early in the season) or by the rocks (red marks and cairns). In both cases, it is no longer a walk on the path, but a real first step in the high mountains, to a prestigious refuge with access to races that are not less.
A word from the hut keeper
Difficult to be more « hut-like » than Le Promontoire! Clinging to rocks on the ridge that rises to La Meije, it looks like the bow of a ship dominating the cliff. It is a mountaineers’ refuge, for those who leave early for the traverse; it is also a wonderful destination for experienced hikers,to admire the unique panoramic view over Les Etançons and the giant mountains of Les Ecrins at sunset.
Nathalie and Frédi Meignan
From the hut:
- In spring, the refuge is the stage for several musts of mountain skiing: the Tour de la Meije via La Brèche and Le Serret du Savon, that comes out on the magical descents of L’Homme or Le Tabuchet and Les Enfetchores, with the descent back to La Grave. A last quality route: the Col du Pavé followed by the descent to the Haute-Romanche.
Mountaineering and climbing
- The traverse of the Meije (3982m) : the route par excellence from Le Promontoire, that reminds the historic exploit Pierre Gaspard et Emmanuel Boileau de Castelneau in 1877. The route itself is subtle and complicated, and it gives credentials to this aesthetic, varied and challenging climb- a great classic of the Alps, always highly-prized.
On the south face, a number of routes have been opened between the direct of Pierre Allain and the modern routes, on a very good rock.
- The south-west face also offers beautiful classics: the « Voie des Marseillais », « Nous partirons dans l’ivresse »
- The west ridge of La Pointe des Aigles (3338m) may be a fallback when uncertain wheather.
- The east face and the north east ridges of Le Rateau (3809m), mixed ascents in the early season.
- The Brèche de la Meije (3357m) is ideal to begin mountaineering, with the opportunity of crossing over to the refuge of L’Aigle via Le Serret du Savon.