Altitude : 2 673 m
- mid-June to mid-September
- on weekends between seasons
- Off season: ask the hut keeper
From Saint Christophe, whether on foot or by car, the car park just after the hamlet of Les Prés is the starting point of the path that crosses the stream of Torrent du Diable. As time goes by, this path will delight you with its numerous flowers, waterfalls, edible berries, snow patches, its wildlife and history that you’ll discover at the refuge.
Take your time to enjoy these magic moments with these scents, colours, lights, tastes and sounds.
The last hour of climb takes place in a very mineral environment, before the Glacier de la Selle comes into view. The stream you have followed takes its source in this glacier: perched on a grassy promontory, the refuge is located left-hand.
Lovers of glacier climbing (mountaineering equipment is compulsory) can also reach the refuge from the cable car of La Grave. Cross Le Glacier de la Girose towards the Col de la Lauze (1 hour; departure also possible from Les Deux-Alpes, following the track of of La Croisière Blanche to the mountain pass). Cross over the Col de la Lauze and go down the south face to reach the refuge, located directly below the mountain pass. It takes one to two hours depending on the amount of snow.
A word from the hut keeper
The Refuge de la Selle is all about having a great time together, whether over pre-dinner drinks while you watch the sunset, trying your hand at the Jeu du Palet (Shove ha’penny), enjoying great homemade dishes, your first overnight stay in a hut or the deckchairs put out to welcome you …
From the hut
- Approach of the Glacier de la Selle. 1hour
Mountaineering and ski touring
- Col du Replat (3335m – 2 ½ hours).Easy snow climb. It is possible to cross towards the refuge du Châtelleret.
- South Tête du Replat (3428m – F). 30 minutes from the col. Snow ridge early in the season.
- East summit of the Râteau (3807m). 4 ½ hours PD.
- West summit of the Râteau (3790m). 5hours PD.
- Pointe Thorant (3340m – 4 hours) D sup, excellent rock.
- Pointe d’Amont (5hours – D), giving an access to the refuge du Soreiller.
- Other rock climbs to be discovered at the refuge. The hut of La Selle is located on the itinerary of the « Haute route de l’Oisans » by ski.