Altitude : 1 797 m
- 10th of June to 17th of September 2016.
- End of March to Mid-April 2016.
- On week-ends from Mid-April to the 10th of June with prior booking.
- Off season: ask the hut keeper.
The village of Saint Christophe en Oisans.
3 kilometres after Saint-Christophe and 300 metres before the entrance of Champhorent, the sign « Parking pour la Lavey » indicates the starting point for the walk up to the refuge.
From the car park, go down below the hamlet of Champhorent to the Vénéon river. Cross the river over a nice stone bridge, without forgetting to close the gate, then go to the left of the waterfall and walk up to the hamlet of La Raja, where a fountain allows you to fill up with water. Carry on climbing until the valley of La Muande: the path follows the right-hand bank then crosses over a second stone bridge, and continues up the left bank.
At the shepherd’s hut (on the other bank), pass the sloping paving stones: the refuge is hidden just behind this little block of ice.
If you prefer to go back on a different route, you have two possibilities: a first is to go round the Lac des Fétoules (3 hours including 1½ hour’s climb); the second is to go back through the hamlet of Le Souchey (2 hours).
A word from the hut keeper
Two small hours of an easy walk, for a magnificent panorama which offers the contrasts of the high peaks, the glaciers and the gentle authentic pasture: sheep, chamois and marmots peacefully share the flourishing pastures as well as the streams and waterfalls. Once permanently inhabited, the valley of La Lavey is one of the largest of the Vénéon. Its refuge is the ultimate place to discover the mountain: a pond full of tadpoles, a training boulder, a grassy area for lazing around and an original and refined cooking. Caro is at your disposal to inform you in choosing your routes. A little piece of paradise, a place of privileged exchanges, sharing of emotions among climbers, hikers, mountain lovers, for the sake of all, whether contemplative or adventurers.
From the hut:
- Lac des Bêches (2hours), height gain 620 m, a well-marked path.
- Lac des Fétoules (1 ¼ hours), height gain: 526 m, a good route up, cairns at the beginning of the descent
- Lac des Rouies (4hours), height gain: 930m, a cairned path with a tricky passage.
- Lac de la Muande (3hours), height gain: 583m, an unmarked route
Mountaineering and ski touring
- Les Rouies (3589m)
- Aiguille d’Olan (3371m)
- Tête des Fétoules (3459m)
- Pointe Maximin (3303m)
- Les Arias (3403m)
- Col de la Lavey (3309m)
- Col de la Muande (3103m)