Altitude : 1 734 m
- Early April to the 8th of May, and mid-June to mid-Septembre.
- Ascension and Pentecôte week-ends.
- Off season with prior booking.
In summer you reach La Bérarde by the valley of the Vénéon and its scenic road clinging to the side of the mountain. It will take you 5 minutes from the car park, to get into the centre of the hamlet, the refuge being the last building in the east.
In winter, the refuge is accessible via ski touring from Champhorent,10 km by the closed road (take care, high avalanche risk).
A word of the hut keeper
A place to enjoy for those who like:
The magic of the wide open spaces, the ski touring, snowshoe walking, climbing, mountaineering, hiking, chamois, marmots, silence, reading in the shade of a birch, dreaming, a breath of freedom, sunsets, in deck chairs on the terrace, sipping a beer ….
From the hut:
- The chalet of La Bérarde is the base camp for access to the refuges of Le Chatelleret, Le Promontoire, Temple Ecrins and La Pilatte.
- La Tête de la Maye (2518m – 2 ½ hours) , air path
- At the foot of the Grande Aiguille of la Bérarde (2600m – 2 ½ hours)
- The small valley of Bonnepierre (2844m – 4hours) at the foot of the west face of Les Ecrins
- The round tour of the small valley of Le Chardon (2100m- 3hours)
- The glacier of la Pilatte (2670m – 3 ½ hours)
- The traverse of Les Cornes de Pié Bérarde (3012m)
- The ridge of the peak Geny (3435m), in crossing to the refuge of Soreiller.
- L-The chalet of La Bérarde is a base camp for countless ski touring tracks as well as a step for beautiful races in the mountains (Col of Le Selé, Col of Les Ecrins, Col of La Casse Déserte, Col of the Rouies).
- There are several climbing sites 15 minutes far from the refuge.
- The training-boulders: La Maye, the camp, the torrent, La Rochaille.
- The cliffs: la Maye, l’Encoula. »