Altitude: 2 508 m
- 17th of December 2015 to 15th of April 2016.
- 15th of June to 15th of September 2016.
- Off season, ask the hut keeper.
Owner: Annie and Daniel Philippe
Getting there :
The opening dates of the refuge coincide with those of the Glaciers de la Meije cable car: the easiest access to the refuge thus starts from the middle 2400 meters station. Recently renovated and widened, the path leads to the refuge in less than one hour, making it accessible for the children and even mountain-bikers!
The hut itself overlooks the lake of Puy Vacher embedded in its rocky cirque, with, as a bonus, a panoramic view streching from the Plateau of Emparis to La Meije, via Les Aiguilles d’Arves and Les Trois Evêchés.
For the more sportive ones, the refuge is also accessible from the valley, either from La Grave (departure from near the Arboretum), with a pleasant walk through a larch forest, or from Les Fréaux on a steeper and sometimes vertiginous path.
In the winter, the hut is only accessible on skis, via the Chancel off-piste run from the top of the cable car (3200m).
A word from the hut keeper
Nothing is more magical than skiing to the refuge Chancel on a full moon night, and sharing there a good meal (2 days a month in the winter, depending on the weather conditions)! We have also negotiated the final climb to the cable (15.45) is free in summer and winter for people sleeping at the hut: enjoy it!
Annie et Daniel Philippe
From the hut:
- Circular walk from the middle station of the cable car then back down to La Grave (3 hours)
- Start from La Grave then back down on the path of Les Fréaux and the road to L’Envers (5 hours)
- Le Râteau (3769m – AD)
- Pic de La Grave (3669m – PD)
- 13 routes below the refuge have been equipped by Eric Loubié. A topo is available from the Bureau des Guides in La Grave.